ID100: Fundamentals of Design
Semester Credits: 2.0
Semester Duration: 6 Weeks
Semester Dates: Coming Soon
This Fundamentals of Design course is the beginning of our upcoming online Interior Design Certificate program and lays the foundation for an education in design. Fundamentals of design apply to every field of visual expression from sculpture, art, and architecture, to modern concepts in interior design. Everybody knows great design when they see it…but do you know that there are elements and principles that are followed as guidelines in the creation of great design? It doesn’t just happen by sheer talent or accident…great design is a composition of fundamentals that must be learned. These fundamental concepts are used by professional designers as the building blocks of every design project and are crucial to evaluating design problems and finding elegant solutions. Apply these fundamentals along with your own creativity and your future as an interior designer is unlimited.
This course will help you answer the following questions:
- How do you get the right scale and proportion of elements in a room design?
- How do you know when to blend elements together and when to apply contrast?
- What creates a theme in a room design?
- How do you create a focal point in a room? Is it possible to have more than one focal point?
- How do you create a space that is creative and amazing to look at but also functional?
- How do you use Feng Shui to create balance and harmony in a design?
- Students will gain an understanding of the Interior Design profession: what is an interior designer, what are their responsibilities and what specializations are available in the industry.
- Recognize interior design styles and gain an understanding of how to combine them into your own look.
- Understand the difference between design fads, trends, and timeless designs.
- Understand and apply the foundational building blocks called Elements & Principles of Design to analyze existing designs and create new ones.
- Understand and apply The Golden Mean to determine ideal proportions.
- Understand and apply Tips & Techniques as tools to enhance interior spaces.
- Understand the basics of Feng Shui and how it is used to create balanced design.
- Introduction to Interior Design
- Design Styles
- Elements of Design
- Principles of Design
- Golden Mean
- Tips & Techniques of Design
- Feng Shui
- Students will need a computer or tablet with internet access to participate in class lectures, assignments, learning activities, quizzes, and a test.
- Participation in online message board to discuss course topics.