Our Fundamentals of Design Online Course is Now Available
Stay tuned for our next offering in the Fall of 2019!
ID100: Fundamentals of Design
Semester Credits: 2.0
Semester Duration: 6 Weeks
Semester Dates: Coming Soon
This Fundamentals of Design course is the beginning of our upcoming online Interior Design Certificate program and lays the foundation for an education in design. Fundamentals of design apply to every field of visual expression from sculpture, art, and architecture, to modern concepts in interior design. Everybody knows great design when they see it…but do you know that there are elements and principles that are followed as guidelines in the creation of great design? It doesn’t just happen by sheer talent or accident…great design is a composition of fundamentals that must be learned. These fundamental concepts are used by professional designers as the building blocks of every design project and are crucial to evaluating design problems and finding elegant solutions. Apply these fundamentals along with your own creativity and your future as an interior designer is unlimited.
This course will help you answer the following questions:
- How do you get the right scale and proportion of elements in a room design?
- How do you know when to blend elements together and when to apply contrast?
- What creates a theme in a room design?
- How do you create a focal point in a room? Is it possible to have more than one focal point?
- How do you create a space that is creative and amazing to look at but also functional?
- How do you use Feng Shui to create balance and harmony in a design?
- Students will gain an understanding of the Interior Design profession: what is an interior designer, what are their responsibilities and what specializations are available in the industry.
- Recognize interior design styles and gain an understanding of how to combine them into your own look.
- Understand the difference between design fads, trends, and timeless designs.
- Understand and apply the foundational building blocks called Elements & Principles of Design to analyze existing designs and create new ones.
- Understand and apply The Golden Mean to determine ideal proportions.
- Understand and apply Tips & Techniques as tools to enhance interior spaces.
- Understand the basics of Feng Shui and how it is used to create balanced design.
- Introduction to Interior Design
- Design Styles
- Elements of Design
- Principles of Design
- Golden Mean
- Tips & Techniques of Design
- Feng Shui
- Students will need a computer or tablet with internet access to participate in class lectures, assignments, learning activities, quizzes, and a test.
- Participation in online message board to discuss course topics.
We are excited to announce that AIID is developing online courses! Education is constantly evolving, and “traditional” classroom learning isn’t always possible. Some students work during the day, live in another state (or country), and need the flexibility of schedule that online courses provide.
At AIID, our online Interior Design courses are being designed to offer a personalized, faculty-led, collaborative experience that focuses on achieving students’ goals. We will offer the convenience of studying on your own schedule through an online platform while having industry experts engaging and guiding student progress every step of the way.
Build your expertise. AIID online courses will give you the Interior Design knowledge and experience you need to keep ahead of trends, seek greater career opportunities and stay competitive. Our course content aligns with current industry needs and provides the tools necessary to design modern interior spaces that are relevant today and also in the future.